Josh McKay’s Sweet Shepherds Pie
This is the perfect lockdown dinner using cans from the pantry. You can substitute many of the ingredients with those you might have in the cupboard too!
- 2 large kumara, peeled and diced (Or potatoes)
- 2 medium carrots, finely diced (You can also use Pumpkin or similar veg)
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil (Or similar)
- 1 can lentils
- 1 can chickpeas (Or canned beans)
- 400 g can tomatoes
- Sprinkle of Rosemary or Thyme (Optional)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Knob of butter
- Sprinkle salt
- Sprinkle pepper
- 1 Tbsp milk
- ½ cup cheese
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 200ºC.
- Peel and dice Kumara and carrots. Put the kumara into a pot of boiling water and boil for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain well and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, cook the onion, garlic and carrot in olive oil until softened.
- Add the drained lentils, chickpeas and a can of tomatoes to the saucepan. Stir well.
- Chuck in some thyme or rosemary, salt and pepper and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add some frozen peas to the chickpea mixture.
- Mash the kumara with milk, butter and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Spoon into a large ovenproof baking dish.
- Top with mashed kumara, using a fork to spread evenly. Sprinkle cheese, breadcrumbs and rosemary on top.
Cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the edges of the kumara are golden.