Scott’s Scottish Scones
Sweet or Savoury?
However you like your scones, this is the perfect morning tea or lunch treat!
- 3 cups flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- large pinch of salt
- 75g butter (Room temp)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup grated cheese for a savoury option; or
- 1 cup chopped dates for a sweet option
- Chuck the flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Mix together and rub in the butter.
- Mix in the sugar, then the cheese or dates, and then stir in the milk until the dough is soft.
- Gently tip the dough onto a floured chopping board and knead lightly, until the dough is approximately 2 cm thick.
- Grab a scone cutter (5 cm is ideal) and cut the dough up into rounds. Place the rounds on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Lightly knead together the rest of the dough and continue cutting more scones until all the dough is used.
- Brush the tops of the scones with a little milk (or a beaten egg).
- Bake for around 12-15 minutes in a preheated oven at 220°C until golden and well risen. Cool on a wire rack and serve!